Open Space with Lower Taxes

 


Q: You want to increase open space and develop parks and recreational facilities. However it directly conflicts with your desire for lower taxes as it will take considerable sums of money to achieve and maintain.

I don’t think there’s any conflict here. It’s simply a matter of setting goals and working towards an objective. We have a Town Manager who has proven to be a creative and resourceful money manager. I’d like to see some of that creativity and resourcefulness directed to the problem of rising taxes and work towards the goal of lowering our taxes and our debt. The Town Manager has saved Billerica all kinds of money. We need to have an objective to give those savings back to the taxpayers.

Q: What are your thoughts about the Peggy Hannon Rizza project?

The PHR project impresses me as a project that needs to be finished. I don’t know much about the history of this project, so I hesitate to say more. I have withdrawn my comment about the Masonic Lodge being an example of a “never ending project that wastes money” because I’ve learned more about the history of Billerica Center. I am still concerned about the rising costs of projects like PHR and the Masonic Lodge, but I really need to learn more about it.

At the end of the day, yes, it is true that it will be difficult to develop and improve parks and public buildings like these without raising more revenue and hard choices will have to be made. However, I fully support the conservation of open space which is not exactly the same thing. I don't think it needs to be that expensive. I don't want to see the open spaces in our town, the environment and the wildlife that it supports suffer as the town expands and grows.

The Committee to Elect John Meneghini
33 Timbercreek Rd, Billerica, MA 01821
https://planning-for-meneghini.blogspot.com/
Email: planning.for.meneghini@gmail.com
Phone: 978-435-4224

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Planning Board Candidates Forum

BATV Candidate Statements